I have a bit of a guilty pleasure. I love Fleetwood Mac. Not sure when it happened, or how it happened, but they are one of if not my favorite rock group. So naturally when I heard they were coming to Wichita to perform at Intrust Bank Arena I was excited to say the least.
For 5 months I have had this ticket sitting on my desk. I really could not believe that it was time to use it! In an e-mail it said that people going to the show should be there by 6:30pm or 7pm to avoid the long lines. I figured I would be smart and get there at 6:45pm. I walked up to lines that curled around the arena. One thing I hate doing is waiting in lines, so I wasn't to thrilled when I saw how long the line was to go in. As I walked up and got in the back of the line I realized how out of place I looked. 90% of the people I was waiting in line with were 50-65, white and conservatively dressed. Here I am in my mid 30's, mixed black and white, wearing Jordan's and a sweatshirt.
Needless to say I was the odd man out.
I did have a fun time watching people who usually don't have to go through metal detectors and wands having to deal with them. I even heard one lady say she was worried because they had them and why would they need them. The average person took about 2 minutes while they tried to look like they weren't nervous about having a metal wand waved in the front and back of them. Most didn't put there hands up high enough and didn't remove all of the metal objects they had on them. For me, it took about 15 seconds. It was obvious I have had a metal wand waived in front of me once or twice in my life.
For 30 minutes I stood and watch literally thousands of people coming and one after the other. It seemed like there was a ritual that happened. They would come in, look around, and then go buy a 16 ounce can of there favorite domestic beer. Bud, Bud Light and Michelob Light were the ones I saw people carrying the most. Me wanting to be a bit different got a Bud Light Straw-Ber-Rita. That's right. Nothing but the good stuff for me.
Instead of going to my seat I decided to go people watch for a bit. Everyone was either taking selfies of themselves or looking out the windows. As I walked around I saw at least 7 women wearing Stevie Nicks style top hats, and one guy stressed up like Mick Fleetwood. For a split second I felt like I was at the Renaissance Fair. It was around this time I figured I needed to get something to eat. You know.. something to soak up the Bud Light Straw-Ber-Rita. I picked a concession stand with the shortest line. The name above it said "Candyland", which I found ironic because 80% of what they were selling wasn't candy. I got an "Arena Dog" and a box of Mike & Ike's. While I was waiting for my order I noticed the guy next to me had a huge 1% tattoo on his arm. I tried to get a picture of him, but considering how I am the other 99% that isn't bad ass enough to be in a motorcycle gang I figured it wasn't a good idea to do that.
I took my "Arena Dog", Mike & Ike's and Bud Light Straw-Ber-Rita and went to go find my seat. There was 10 minutes until the show started and my entire row was empty. Within 5 minutes the row I was in was completely full and I was in the middle. It wasn't that bad, but they guy next to me introduced himself. He had a couple of drinks before he came, and had a beer in his hand while he was talking. He asked my name, I told him Royce. "Boyce"? Nope, I told him again its Royce. "Boyce right? I got a brother named Boyce". So for the rest of the show I was Boyce.
It sucked because only point and shot cameras were allowed in, so my poor iPhone couldn't zoom in from the 2nd level of Intrust Banka Arena very well. Fleetwood Mac hit the stage about 8:10pm and for over 2 straight hours played nothing but hit after hit. I found my self standing dancing with Mike & Ike's in one hand and "Arena Dog" wrapper in the other. Pretty much after the second song, 3/4 of the arena was on its feet dancing for the rest of the show.
The performance Fleetwood Mac put on was amazing! One of the coolest parts of the show for me was during the encore. Mick Fleetwood did a 3 or 4 minute drum solo. He had the crowd on their feet and never missed a beat.
The last song that was played was Silver Springs. It was a fitting end to an awesome evening. As I was walking out the guy next to me turned to me and said, "
That was the best show I have ever seen!" I couldn't have agreed with him more. As we walked out of the arena and went our separate ways, he made sure to tell me bye. "Great meeting you Boyce!". "No", I said, "The pleasure was all mine". ~ @RoyceOnTheRadio